Ten members of GayWest arrived, bang on time at the entrance to Dyrham Park ready for a really nice day. But first up, on quite a dull and cold morning was some refreshments in the on site café and a good natter. We were able to book a guided tour of the house for 1.30pm. Which would last for about 1 hour. So before the tour we all went of in different directions to take in the gardens, stables and also the shop and second hand book shop.
The tour itself was very interesting and we were told about the history of the family here over the centuries. Created by colonial administrator William Blathwayt in the late 17th century, Dyrham Park is a fine example of baroque architecture.
Dyrham Park was used to house London evacuees during World War 2 . The House and Park was purchased for the nation by the national land fund in 1956 and was opened to the public in 1961.